Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Tale of Two Turkeys

Ah the wonderful sights and smells of Thanksgiving; turkey, potatoes, cranberries, and Cornish hens? Wait, really? That tiny little bird should not be on the table at thanksgiving time. My mother decided she wanted to play a little trick on the only child she had coming home for the holiday of gratitude. I’m not sure I’ll be going home next year (*wink). Mom, dad, and I helped put together a delightful little meal, but mom was sure to give me the items that kept me away from the main meal, mainly the bird. She had this recipe for an a-m-a-z-i-n-g cranberry cream cheese dip and I had the privilege of making it. Thank goodness, because now the recipe is burned in my brain and it is delicious! Find a triscuit or Ritz cracker and start dippin’ baby because this stuff is good.



I was also in charge of the pumpkin crumble dessert. No pictures, but it was cake to make! So, dinner was placed nicely on the table and mom tells me to look at the turkey and how much it shrank. I, of course, flipped a little and asked, “How big was it before you cooked it!” She couldn’t hold back her snickers. Phew! I did not want to eat that bird. Then they brought out the real one. Thank goodness! It was a much prettier bird. It was a nice break from everyday life to spend some thankful time at home with mom and dad.

2 comments:

family said...

What are you talking about? We love cornish game hens at Thanksgiving (I really did them one year when it was just Jeff and I and they were sooo good)! That's a good story though--funny mom ;). Love you and miss you!

Mikey said...

hahaha loved it.