Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hero's

I love rainstorms! I love the lightning and thunder. I love the sound of the rain on the roof and the feel of it on my face. The weather we have been having is totally dope in my opinion. There are problems though with this kind of weather. Lots of rain means lots of puddles and I ran into a rather large one last night. I guess I didn't really run into it, but I observed the following in regards to it. A young man on campus at BYU was trying to get his scooter out of a very large pool of water that resulted from the rain. I mean his scooter was in deep. When I came upon the scene (from a distance) I noticed he was on his cell phone talking to someone and assessing the situation. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw a BYU police officer working his way in that direction. As he approached the young man hung up his phone (I'm assuming he had called for help) and the two decided together that they could lift the scooter up out of the puddle, over the grass and the sidewalk, onto the road. It was such a simple thing, and really something the student probably could have done on his own, but it was neat for me to see that officer so willing and happy to do something so simple. I would call it heroic really. It reminded me of a few lines from the movie "While You Were Sleeping" where Lucy and Peter are talking to each other. She says to him, "You give up your seat every day in the train." He replies, "Well-- But that´s not heroic." And she counters with, "It is to the person who sits in it." I concur. I think it's the little things in life that make up the character of a person which causes them to be a hero. Kudos to all of you hero's out there who take the time to lend a hand, speak and kind word, or lift a scooter out of a very large puddle.

3 comments:

Ki-o-TEE said...

That is totally dope. And no, I don't want to do dope. I will just sing songs.

Treble Clef ♪ said...

Amber,
You are an awesome person. Thanks for being a friend to my daughters. You are welcome to be part of our family anytime;)

Caitlyn said...

I love everyday heroes! and I agree with my mama! :)