Sunday, August 1, 2010

Triplus No. 3

Ah yes, my other favorite painting. Well as stated by the scripture it references, Moses 6:59-60:

"That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the spirit, which I have made, and so became of dust a living soul, even so ye must be born again into the kingdom of heaven, of water, and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and enjoy the words of eternal life in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal glory; For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified."

Of course, being the poet that I am I had to write something about this painting as I spent many a lunch hour walking over the the BYU Museum of Art to gaze and ponder. It has no title save I called it the same name as the painting, "Triplus No. 3."

Simple and almost unnoticed
But a transcendent beauty it holds
Though dark and gnarled the stock
The colors of the cross inculcate from first glance
Peace and purity signified by His courage and sacrifice for life
The water cleanses
The blood reclaims
The Spirit saves


3 comments:

Ki-o-TEE said...

Ooh! Awesome poem, reflects the painting so well!

Brian said...

Very pensive. I like it.

Caitlin said...

When I first saw this painting I didn't like it. However, the more I see it the more I like it.